Charles Chessell established the Albion Hotel in 1861. In 1866 it was renamed the Glasgow Arms, in 1889 it was rebuilt and then in 1913 renamed the Federal Hotel. One of the most substantial hotels in the area prominently located on the uphill corner of Clarendon and Market Streets, its architecture reflects its late Victorian date of construction. With three storeys clad in render, its two main facades are embellished and feature highly decorated windows. It was known as the Clarendon Hotel for much of his existence, then renamed the Intrepid Fox, yet maintained the same style as the Clarendon – a seven-day-a-week venue with a central bar, a bottle shop and pub meals. In 2001, it was bought by a division of Lion Nathan Australia, and was converted into the Clarendon Lounge Bar. Purchased by the current owners and fully renovated and now known as Clarendon Hotel Melbourne.
Clarendon Melbourne formerly
Clarendon Lounge Bar, Albion Hotel,
Glasgow Arms Hotel, Federal Hotel,
Clarendon Hotel and
Intrepid Fox Hotel 1861